800-960-0102
Preferred Corporate Housing logo
Preferred Corporate Housing
800-960-0102

Mold - The Need for Temporary Housing

Where Will You Go When You Find Mold?

What is toxic mold?

Toxic mold is any mold that becomes potentially hazardous to your health. The two most common being Aspergillis and Stachybotrys C. These molds are known to cause serious health problems and sometimes even death. The toxicity is so great that it can cause more than "just discomfort" they can affect your whole routine of daily living and leave you not only debilitated but also disabled for life.

How can I find out if I have toxic mold in my house?

First, ask yourself these questions: Have I seen any discoloration on walls or ceilings? Have I had plumbing problems, a leaky roof or wall? Has there been standing water under my house? A flood in the past? Or a damp basement? Is anyone in my home experiencing any health problems such as listed in the common ailments section? If so, look for areas in the corners, and under carpet, behind molding.

If you find a moldy area that looks rather black, or greenish and slimy, or has round circles with an outer white ring-do not touch it! Have a licensed professional take a culture of it. Only a lab can determine for sure the type of mold that is growing.

What am I going to do now?

IT IS IMPERATIVE TO LEAVE YOUR HOUSE IMMEDIATELY AND CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY IF YOU SUSPECT MOLD. Most insurance companies will pay for corporate housing while you have your home repaired. Corporate housing is much more comfortable and convenient than staying in a hotel for 4-6 months while your home is being treated for mold.

We have provided additional information on mold in the following articles or you may contact our leasing department and an Account Executive will gladly discuss your housing options.

Mold in My Home: What Do I Do?
California Department of Health Services Indoor Air Quality Info Sheet